Tuesday 22 July 2008

Ian Bogost's 'Persuasive Games'




Found via a Guardian Tech blog I came across this book which I'm gonna be sure to get my paws on.

'In Persuasive Games, I advance a theory of how videogames make arguments and influence players. Games represent how real and imagined systems work, and they invite players to interact with those systems and form judgments about them. Drawing on the history of rhetoric, the study of persuasive expression, I analyze rhetoric's unique function in software in general and videogames in particular. The field of media studies already studies visual rhetoric, the art of using imagery and visual representation persuasively. Here I argue that videogames, thanks to their basic representational mode of procedurality (rule-based representations and interactions), open a new domain for persuasion; they realize a new form of rhetoric.'

More about the book here.


Read the Water Cooler Games blog


Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: